A Dripping Faucet: A Serious Plumbing Problem Or Not?
A dripping faucet is a common plumbing problem in most homes across North America. A plumbing service in Bellingham WA knows this is one reason why he or she may be called out on a daily basis. Yet, not all dripping faucets constitute an emergency plumbing issue. In fact, some may be fixed easily by the resident. Yet although many dripping faucets may not in and of themselves demand a plumber to show up, they do require attention. If you do not take care of the issue immediately, it
The Problem with Dripping Faucets
A dripping faucet is often viewed simply as an annoyance. A rag is attached to the faucet to quiet down the noise of the drip-drip. Any plumber can tell you that this is not a permanent solution. It does not matter whether the faucet is an older model with washers or a brand new model. You need to handle the problem before it becomes serious. A dripping faucet is far from benign. It:
1. Slowly wears away the enamel of your sink or tub
2. Bit by bit erodes the metal hardware nearby as well as any actual metal parts the faucet contains
3. Works away at the metal flange and pop up found in most sinks and/or bathtubs
4. Can cause wooden cabinetry over the bathroom or kitchen sink to warp
5. Can cause water stains to occur on any nearby wooden cabinetry
6. Wastes perfect good water
7. Causes an alarming increase in the water bill
These are all basic reasons why you should repair or replace the faucet. If you do not have the experience, skill or time to do so, call in a professional plumber.
The Basic Causes of Dripping Faucets
A faucet may drip for many reasons. A plumber, however, knows there are several that are at fault more commonly than others are. Behind the dripping faucet may be:
1. Worn out valve threads
2. A damaged seal or O ring
3. Washer screws are worn out
4. A damaged or worn out cartridge (for a cartridge faucet)
5. Rubber washer is damaged (applicable for older faucets only)
Overall, the time may have come to replace the faucet. It is possible to do so on your own.
Call in a Plumber
If you do not recognize what is wrong with the faucet or suspect the issue is more complex than it appears, do not attempt the job on your own. Moreover, if you want to upgrade the model or are not skilled with your hands, leave it to a plumber. In Bellingham WA, you can accomplish this by contacting one online or by phone.