Why Your Heat Exchanger is So Important

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and toxic gas that leads to over 20,000 emergency room visits each year. While most cases of carbon monoxide poisoning come from sources such as generators, fireplaces, and water heaters, your furnace may be to blame as well. Read on to learn about the role your heat exchanger plays in keeping your family safe.

What Is the Heat Exchanger, and Why is it So Important?

The heat exchanger is a metal part that transfers heat from burned fuel while keeping the indoor air from blending with the furnace’s exhaust. Sometimes, these parts fail, either from years of expansion and contraction or because they’ve rusted. When the exchanger fails, carbon monoxide and other exhaust gases may mix with your indoor air. If you suspect a cracked heat exchanger, call for heating and air conditioner repair in St Charles right away.

The Dangers of a Cracked Exchanger

Cracks in a heat exchanger may allow the furnace’s exhaust gases to pollute your indoor air. For this to take place, your furnace must be putting out a substantial amount of carbon monoxide. Such pollution may cause serious illness, and eventually, death.

Warning Signs

Along with visual inspections to identify cracks, there are a few other warning signs to look for. If the heat is turned on and the flames are flickering excessively, it may indicate that furnace air is escaping into the wrong area. Other signs include feelings of nausea and lightheadedness, or a carbon monoxide detector that goes off. In any case, call for heating and air conditioner repair on your St Charles system.

While we depend on our furnaces to keep us warm throughout the winter, they depend on us to ensure they’re working safely and properly. Visit BlueFrostHVAC.com to learn more or call Blue Frost Heating & Cooling to schedule heating service.

Be the first to like.

Share

    You may also like...