Tips to Survive your Divorce
Divorce is a painful and stressful occurrence in your life. There will be feelings of regret, loss and even a sense of relief. It is even more painful when children are involved. Here are a few tips to help you survive the emotional roller coaster between visits with your Divorce Lawyer Pottstown PA:
* Lawyer: Your lawyer will not be a therapist, but they will be your rock. The divorce lawyer Pottstown PA spouses hire will help you keep a level head and make the right decisions. It is often tempting to give in because you don’t have the strength to fight. However this will only lead to regrets. Your lawyer will keep you on track and be certain you receive what is rightfully yours throughout the proceedings.
* Children: Your children are innocent bystanders in the divorce. It will be very painful for them to understand why mom and dad don’t want to live together any more. Keep kids out of the fight and always put them first. Try to come up with an amenable custody decision before you hit the courts to avoid an ugly custody battle. And try not to place blame on your spouse even if you are convinced they are at fault.
* Money: Don’t get greedy and clear out your accounts. Take half so you have what you need to survive. Keep in mind your spouse may have benefits or bonuses coming to them and plan things right so you don’t miss out. If possible consult your divorce lawyer Pottstown PA.
* Emotional Strength: Do not be embarrassed by what has happened. Seek strength from friends and family and speak to a counsellor or therapist if you can. The children may also benefit from family counselling.
* Threats: If you are in an abusive relationship or are going through a bad separation ignore any threats your spouse might make against you. You have a right to half of everything and this is for the courts to decide. If you feel physically threatened then record all abusive situations and seek protection with a restraining order.
Divorce can be a long and drawn out process and taking time to stay centred is important. If you have kids and your spouse has them on alternating weekends or week nights take the time to take care of yourself.
David T. Schnarrs will provide effective legal representation to resolve your divorce case in Pottstown, PA.